Preparing The Guinea Pig Cage Or Hutch
Before preparing the cage the intended location of the cage should be considered carefully.
If kept outside the hutch should have a waterproof roof and be placed in a position that gives some shelter from direct wind, rain and sun.
If kept indoors the cage should be placed away from direct sunlight, away from draughts and in a room of constant temperature. Avoid putting the cage near a heater where the guinea pig may become hot and be sure to put the cage out of the way of any other pets which may harm your guinea pig.
To prepare the cage:
- Place a good layer of woodshavings on the floor of the cage.
- Place plenty of hay in the cage, or the enclosed area of the hutch.
- Fill the water bottle with water and fix it to the cage at a height that the guinea pig will be able to reach comfortably. Check by running your finger over the end of the spout that it is delivering water. If it is not give the bottle a little squeeze, dry the end of the spout and run your finger over it again. Pet Shops sell liquid vitamins which can be added to the water and these can be particularly beneficial if your guinea pig is ill.
- Fill the food dish and place this in the cage.
- Place any cage accessories in suitable positions within the cage.